Wednesday, 25 January 2012

What Breast Cancer Looks Like: Lucia Alloggia

Geoff and I have often mentioned how wonderful our neighbours are.  We've focused on how kind and generous they are, but one, in particular, is also very talented. 
Let me introduce you to Lucia Alloggia.  In 2010, Lucia was diagnosed with breast cancer and underwent surgery, chemo and radiation.  On her website, her 2010 gallery is made up of four paintings chronicling her experience with breast cancer:  The Mastectomy; The PICC; Chemo; and Radiation.  They are fantastic paintings. 

Chemo is particularly touching.  With Lucia's permission, I will reproduce it here:


If you have had chemotherapy, even if it's gone well, you will recognize yourself in this picture.  To me, the slumped shoulders say it all.  Like they say, a picture tells a thousand words.

I encourage you to visit Lucia's website here.  In addition to the cancer series are many portraits, and paintings modelling the styles of the masters.  And did I mention that Lucia is as generous as she is talented?  You'll also see paintings she has donated to the restoration of an earthquake-damaged church in the Italian town of Camarda, where she is from.

I hope you enjoy her paintings as much as I do.  Lucia can be reached by email through the contact form on her website.

No comments:

Post a Comment