Thursday 12 April 2012

Oncology Update: April 12, 2012

Yesterday, I had an appointment with my oncologist.  I was hoping to get the results of last week's CT scan.  Unfortunately, given the Easter holiday, the results were not yet ready.  I have an appointment with my GP next week where I should be able to get my results.

In the meantime, oncology is sending me for an echocardiogram to make sure my heart is bearing the chemotherapy well, and a bone MRI to see the status of the bone tumours across my body.  We had an interesting chat with the doctor about the tests.  She said that in the fall, because I was so sick (see Geoff's blog on that), I got the Cadillac of Cadillac of tests.  Now, it's important to repeat those tests to be able to adequately compare the results.  She also explained that the CT scan is their best tool for assessing the tumours on my liver.  She's conscious of the risks involved in the CTs use of radiation.  Once my liver tumours are more stable, they may transition to using ultrasounds, which do not use radiation.  For the bone tumours, the CT isn't as effective and the doctor will use and MRI, which they will compare to the ones done in November.  MRIs do not use radiation, neither does the echocardiogram, which is essentially an ultrasound of the heart.

We also talked to the doctor about going back to work (actually she wouldn't talk about that) and vacations.  She was concerned about my hope to go to Ireland this summer.  She suggested we start with some shorter, closer vacations and reminded me of the potential stress of unfamiliar beds and uncomfortable restaurant chairs.  I think a trip to Montreal is long overdue.  We'll try to go once our lovely niece there finishes school for the year.  Perhaps we'll head to Oakville in June to see my brand new lovely niece, once she arrives.  After I told her I expected I shouldn't go on roller coasters or ride a bike at this point, she looked at Geoff and said something to the effect of, "I can see what you're going through."  I guess she thinks I'm pushing too hard to return to a normal life.  Geoff cracked up after we left when I complained about the two of them ganging up on me.  But really, if I want to get back to normal, I have to start doing normal things!  I don't want to spend the rest of life on the couch watching daytime television.  I've had enough of that.

Back to chemo on Friday.


1 comment:

  1. Hey Kate,

    Just got back from Ireland and, although the pace of things is much slower, it was still an exhausting trip. I had an extra 3 hours to make up, but I am healthy and feeling well. I think the jet lag and the plane ride might wipe you out. I don't know how much walking you can do, but I find the cities and towns of Ireland are meant for walking ... a lot. Certainly getting around by car or taxi is painful.

    It's so lovely in Ireland that I wouldn't want you to go and be disappointed. It'll still be there next year when you are perfectly healthy again.

    ReplyDelete