Sunday 6 May 2012

Test Results from April

I finally met with my oncologist last week to get the results of the tests I did in April:  CT scan, echocardiogram and MRI of the axial skeleton.  Good news all 'round.

The CT scan showed further shrinkage of the liver metastases and no new ones in other areas of the abdomen.  The shrinkage wasn't as dramatic as between the October and January CT scans, but it's still shrinkage and the doctor was happy with that.  It seems there are only two tumours larger than 1cm.  That's a huge improvement.  I'm just looking forward to a day when the liver tumours are countable rather than "numerous."

The echocardiogram was great again.  My results were high enough that I can continue to be treated with Herceptin.

The MRI of the bones had a little good, a little bad news.  It showed a great deal of healing of the bones in my lower spine and pelvis, which was attributed to the radiation treatment I had in late November, early December.  Unfortunately there is a new compression fracture in my spine.  The surprise is that it was not due to a cancerous tumour but to osteoporosis.  I have a strong family history of osteoporosis, and given my history of non-exercise and only medium consumption of dairy, I figured I would get it eventually.  It looks like the chemo treatment has actually brought the disease on early.  Like the other fractures, it should heal over time. 

So, good news for all of us that have been waiting.  Thank you all for your concern and good wishes.  They mean a lot to me.  See my next post for treatment changes.

1 comment: